I got a complain from email user that they did not receive email from some of their contact. I guessed it must be caused by spam filter in the mail server. I hosted company’s email at ISP. ISP’s webmail also did not have a Bulk folder, so email suspected as spam will be permanently deleted. Therefore I move all emails to GMail and use their Google Application service.

The problem came when I need to access email from several mail clients. They did not receive all messages, only a part of it. The solution can be achieved from help center. For a short, you just need to set POP username from: username@gmail.com to recent:username@gmail.com and set leave all messages in the server. “Recent:” prefix is to fetches the last 30 days of mail, regardless of whether it’s been sent to another POP client already.

That’s all. User now can check spam messages (what?) and download email using POP without problem.

In the first day at work after my long year end holiday, one of my client could not share his printer to the network, but his PC was noticable from the network. It also could not be pinged but it could ping other PC on the network.

The firt step I took was opening the Windows Firewall, but it gave me a notification that the firewall service was not activated and asked me to start it. I did it, but it gave me a warning that the service can not be started.

I found an easy solution from this forum. I just need to run this command:

netsh winsock reset

and then restart the PC.

Done.

That’s all. The problem was solved.

I didn’t give up actually but I want to make everyone happy :D

I need to install a Music Player Daemon (MPD) for office server in order to play music while phone operator is transfering a phone call. It’s an Ubuntu server and I spent almost a week to get the MPD works but no result. This errors keep showing.

Nov 25 16:03 : Error opening alsa device “default”: No such file or directory
Nov 25 16:03 : problems opening audio device while playing “Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved.mp3″

I tried to play music using mplayer and it worked, so there should be no problem with any kind related with sound card driver.

I got pressure to get it worked soon and mplayer can not work on background (anyone?). So, instead of wasting my time and make everyone happy, I did this things.

  1. Login to windows server (remotely)
  2. Login to music server from windows server
  3. Play music continuously using mplayer
  4. Logout from Windows server while keeping my login to music server
  5. Done

Now the music is still playing, I have a lot of time to fix the MPD and everyone is happy.

LOL… :D

I need to migrate my old database server (let say: intranet) to new server (intranet2). The software at the client was developed to be connected to server using hostname instead of IP address. I need to change the hostname of new server because I give it different hosname (of course it will causes a conflict if you have two machines with same name).

To change new server’s hostname from intranet2 to intranet, here are the steps:

  1. Login to Linux shell as root
  2. Run this command to change hostname

    hostname yournewhostname
    eg: hostname intranet (to change hostname to intranet)

  3. Edit hostname file to make sure that the hostname is set correctly when the server reboot

    Hostname file usually located at /etc/hostname

  4. Done

That’s all.

I just finished to install an Ubuntu Server for office work. It will act as intranet web server and information system database. I used Apache (of course plus PHP) for web server and MySQL as database server.

Installation run well and I could browse MySQL database from phpMyAdmin. I added user who can connect remotely (anyhost) but I didn’t test it. The next day he complained me because he can not connect to MySQL due to an error (Error code: 2003).

If you can not connet to MySQL server as non root users either locally or remotely, it can be solved by editing MySQL configuration file (my.cnf) and comment out the following command:

skip_networking

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

* comment out means that you need to add # before commands.

Restart MySQL server to make it work.

That’s all.

Outlook Express (which came with Windows XP and below) is an email client provided by Microsoft for Windows users. The Windows it self is sometime give you a headache, and OE can give you another problem.

From this site, OE has a maximum 2 GB of .DBX files. DBX files is a file of OE for each folder in OE, as shown on the picture. When DBX file size reaches 2 GB, OE may not receive emails. It will say that there is an unknown error, as usual :D

Outlook Express DBX file list
Outlook Express DBX file list

To solve the problem is easy.

  1. Change the name of the file: Inbox.DBX to Inbox 2.DBX
  2. Run send/receive command
  3. OE will receive new emails and create a new Inbox.DBX automatically
  4. Done

Now there are two INBOX folders: Inbox.DBX and Inbox 2.DBX. New emails will go to Inbox.DBX by default.

To avoid this problem in the future, you can setup mail rules (filter) to separate emails by sender. Or you can manually move old emails to new folder manually.