Last day I got a problem with my laptop. I could not run any windows command prompt, such as ping, nslookup and tracert. I restarted it and gave no solution, the problem was still remain.
I found this page on Google. It told me that Windows can not resolve the %SystemRoot% Environment Variable that can be checked by running “path” command. It returned:
FilesATI TechnologiesATI Control Panel;
To solution for this problem was founded here where the step by step is instructed below.
- Go to: Start > Run > Regedit
- Check: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerEnvironment
Make sure that the registry key holding the path is of Reg_Expand_SZ type rather Reg_SZ type
- If the holding key is Reg_SZ change it into Reg_Expand_SZ by:
- Double Click “Path” and copy it’s Data Value “…%SystemRoot%system32;%SystemRoot%; …” to avoid to rewrite it again
- Delete the “Path”
- Create New > Expandable String Value
- Give “Path” as the name, double click it, and Paste the value copied in the previous step to the “Value Data” field
- Close the Regedit window and restart the laptop
Once the Windows is finish from loading, the command prompt works again.
Any comments or suggestions? Just as usual. Write it in the form below.