Hot Potatoes created by Half Baked Software is a must-have tool for teachers or trainers who want to create a web based interactive exercises for students. Hot Potatoes allow you to create interactive multiple-choice, short-answer, jumbled-sentence, crossword, matching/ordering and gap-fill exercises and then publish it on the World Wide Web.
There are six basic applications included in Hot Potatoes distribution:
- JCloze to create gap-fill exercises. The gaps are created by selecting words that need to be removed on a text. Students must fill the gaps with correct answers. Clues and alternative correct answers can be provided.
- JQuiz to create question based quizzes. The quizzes can give visual feedback on answers, hints on questions and free letter help upon users’ request.
- JCross to create crossword puzzles. As in JQuiz and JCloze, a hint button allows the student to request a free letter if needed. A crossword can be created automatically from a selection of words.
- JMatch to create matching or ordering exercises using text and/or images. Items on the left are matched with items on the right by dragging and dropping or from answers selected from a drop down list.
- JMix to create jumbled sentence exercises.
- The Masher to combine quizzes and exercises into a sequence and upload to a Web space. The Masher can be used to custom the look and feel of the combined ‘unit’ as a whole. You need a commercial license key to create units of more than three files.
So what are you waiting for? Get the potatoes while it’s still hot. It is available at http://hotpot.uvic.ca/.